The historic Snohomish Carnegie Library Building is located at 105 Cedar Avenue, on the corner of Cedar and First Street in downtown Snohomish. The building is currently closed to the public. It needs wheelchair ramps and an elevator to be accessible to people with disabilities. And it needs major upgrades and maintenance work.
Damage in the roof underlayment was found in the Annex’s roof during preparation for a maintenance project in 2017. A complete building closure for safety reasons makes the need for overall building improvements more immediate.
City Council directed staff to develop a renovation project in mid-2017. Approximately $1,650,000 is available for the Carnegie project from existing City funds. State and other funds are needed to fully fund restoration.
Immediate Priorities the 1910 Building are:
- Preserve the building
- Create a usable site
- Upgrade main floor
- Accessible to people with disabilities
Future improvements would include reinstalling a War Memorial monument and improving the basement.
Public Input Process (Subject to revisions):
- September 12, 2017 Public Meeting #1
- October 17, 2017 City Council Meeting to consider Architectural consulting services to assist in public outreach and provide preliminary design and cost estimates.
- January 11, 2018: Public Meeting #2 – Conduct community open house to review and comment on building concept development.
- See ARC's presentation from the January 11, 2018 meeting
- See photos below from the January 11, 2018 meeting:
- Winter 2018: Public Meeting #3 - preferred design
- Spring 2018 Preferred concept plan presentation to City Council and, if approved, Consultant completes preliminary construction drawings and cost estimates.
The City, citizens, and the nonprofit Carnegie Education Foundation have gone through an extensive process to plan for the restoration and future use of the Snohomish Carnegie Library. A vision for the Carnegie Educational Center is sketched out in master plans developed in 2005 and 2011.
Those past Carnegie Building outreach efforts have shown a strong public interest in preserving and improving the original 1910 library building, removing the 1968 Annex, and restoring the surrounding property to provide public gathering spaces.